I&D has a long and expansive experience in arbitration working with major arbitration institutes and rules including: ICC, AAA, ICSID, DIAC, CRCIRA, and LCIA.
A sample of the international arbitration matters in which I&D is involved:
- Acting in $200 million ICSID arbitration between the Egyptian Government and a US Corporation.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration between one of the global powerhouses in electronics and electrical engineering and its local distributor in Egypt.
- Representing a major global petroleum producer, as a defendant, in an ICC arbitration regarding breach of an agency agreement.
- Represented the Egyptian Radio and Television Union (ERTU), as a defendant, in a $50 million AAA arbitration regarding the broadcasting of the Egyptian Satellite Channels in the USA. The award was rendered in favor of ERTU.
- Represented a major Scandinavian petroleum services company in its EGP 60 million claim against an Egyptian joint venture company affiliated to Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) before Cairo Regional Center for Commercial International Arbitration (CRCICA).
- Acted in an arbitration involving a global supermarket chain in an ICC arbitration involving cross-border insolvency issues.
Our team also handles complex litigation which incorporates multi-jurisdictions, complexity and interrelationship of multiple issues, multiple parties, massive documents and data production. In such type of litigation, there is no substitute for engaging litigators with the requisite knowledge, experience, judgment, institutional capacity, and, increasingly, foreign language skills, to defend the company in every forum and on every front. Complexity requires absolute coordination between the team members within I&D as well as with litigation teams outside of I&D. A sample of complex litigations in which I&D is involved:
- Advising two French companies in relation to local proceedings for the revocation of the privatization agreements of publicly held cement production companies in Egypt. Complexity and sensitivity of such litigations require absolute coordination between the team members as well as with litigation teams of outside consultants.
- Participating in the trial team representing a leading French company in its disputes related to industrial production licenses.
- Participating in trial team representing one of the largest professional service companies as a defendant in a business tort claim incorporating multi-jurisdictions.
- I&D led long negotiations with the Minister of Finance on the clay fees imposed on cement producing companies. I&D on behalf of one of the largest cement companies in Egypt, successfully reached a fair resolution to rectify the error in Paragraph (19) of the State Development Fees Law. The resolution was fortified by an explanatory memorandum that was published in the official gazette, which resulted in saving our client an amount of 100 Million EGP to be reflected as upside in its budget for this year.